Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chalkboard Apron

I thought it would be cool to have an apron that I could easily adapt to whatever my buddies were learning at the moment. What could be better than a chalkboard for that purpose? I didn't have any chalkboard paint, but I have lots of acrylic paints. I thought I would give them a try. I was counting on the rough texture of the fabric to substitute for the texture created when using chalkboard paint on a smooth surface. I knew that I could write on the plain fabric with chalk, but I wanted it to stand out more.

Photobucket

It was really easy to do this. I taped off the area I wanted to paint and then painted it. I made a large rectangular black chalkboard at the bottom of the apron and then a smaller green chalkboard at the top. I had to try out the chalk on the black as soon as it had dried. I love the way it stands out! After the paint dried, I threw it in the dryer for 15 minutes on high heat to set the paint.

Photobucket

My buddies and I will use this apron to focus our learning. Whether we are learning a letter, or number or word, I can write it on the chalkboard and we can review it all day long. When we're done, I can throw the apron in the wash and start new!

Photobucket

Washed and ready for day 2!

2 comments:

  1. I love the fact that one of your posts talks about your buddies not wearing smocks and yet this is the second post on making aprons!!! Brilliant idea, might have to make one of these myself (not that i would ever remember to wear it while doing our messy stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definately messiest of all my buddies! And not nearly as cute covered in stains!

    ReplyDelete