Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Word Walk

I have always wanted to create a word wall for my buddies but I am really short of wall space and couldn't do it. I tried using pocket charts that hang on a stand but they always seemed to get in the way of their play and would get knocked down.

I had this big clear plastic mat that I use to protect the carpet from getting dirty in front of my buddies' lockers.
Photobucket

Oh yeah, and my cat likes it, too. But to me, it was a big, blank space, and kinda boring - like a blank canvas. But... I had this template for some maple leaves and I had lots of construction paper.

Photobucket

I think I made about a dozen. Then I put my buddies' names on them. I had some left over so I added the names of our pets.

Photobucket

I laminated them and cut them out. I turned my mat upside down and used clear packing tape to tape them down - with the names facing down, of course.

Photobucket

Then I turned the mat over and put it in place. I think my buddies will be surprised. After the initial novelty of seeing their names wears off, we will use it to play games that will help them recognize their names, practice colour identification and eventually identify each letter in their name. I think they will enjoy games like tossing bean bags onto their names or onto certain colours. I can also ask each child to stand on their name or a colour. I'm looking forward to seeing their reaction!


Photobucket

The names are actually easier to see than they are in this picture. Here's a close up!

Photobucket

I shared this idea on No Time For Flashcards! Link & Learn

No comments:

Post a Comment