Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Birdwatching Buddies

I was so excited that my bird books came in to the library! My buddies and I have been really enjoying all the recent bird activity in the backyard.
Photobucket

I am not one of those people who instantly recognizes and can name birds. I find it extremely difficult, in fact. But, still, I am trying to give my buddies information about the ones I DO know, and I am trying to learn about the ones I don't, hence the bird books were in order!

Photobucket


We started with a simple bird feeder and some bird seed. It didn't take long for the birds to find us. Whoever came up with the phrase "eats like a bird" has never seen the way birds eat! They can empty my feeder every day! I was excited to find that I can also give them some of my kitchen scraps. That will save me some bird seed, I'm sure.
Photobucket

One day I noticed a hummingbird in the backyard and quickly added some nectar to our hummingbird feeder. (It had been sitting empty because we never had hummingbirds and I didn't want to risk having old nectar in it. I've been making my own nectar to save money there. Now my buddies and I get to see hummingbirds stop by the feeder even when we are out in the backyard.
We've been using binoculars, too. They haven't been necessary because the birdfeeder is near the window, but my buddies enjoy looking through them anyway. We made our own binoculars, too, using just strips of rolled and stapled poster board. My buddies decorated them with stickers and we put a ribbon strap to hold them. Ours were pretty simple, but you can find directions to make some pretty nice ones here.
Photobucket
As I get better at identifying the birds in the backyard, I will be printing and posting some bird pictures with their names. I will laminate and post them either on or near the window so that we can all learn the different types of birds.

This post has been shared on The Sunday Showcase!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun project- do you plan on taking this journal with you if you travel? Thank you for linking up to the The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think I would take the books with me since they are library books. Maybe when my buddies get older. I have rearranged my room and put a bench under the window so they get a better view of the bird feeder. I set their binoculars on the window ledge and the books on a shelf next to it. I'm still looking for some good picture cards to put up by the window.

    ReplyDelete