Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Shaky Jack O' Pumpkin Head

My buddies and I had a fabulous time today. What I had planned to be a simple craft became a wonderful activity that we will be able to do over and over again!
We started with a milk jug. And we were going to make a jack o' lantern. I put some red, white and yellow paint INSIDE the jug and put the lid on. I gave it to my buddies to shake. (We had to stop shaking to take the picture!)
Photobucket

I used biocolor paint and I considered adding some glue to make it adhere to the inside better BUT my buddies were enjoying the shaking so much, I decided I would rather keep it thinner and hope that it would keep running down the sides so they could keep shaking. I even added a big wooden bead to make the shaking more fun. I glued the cap onto the jug so I don't have a surprise paint explosion. My buddies were really using their muscles to get that paint all shook up.

Photobucket

At first we glued on a mouth and eyes...

Photobucket

but when I realized my buddies were going to be playing with this jack o' lantern, I decided to make give it even more possibilities. I carefully removed the eyes and mouth and washed off the glue. Then I cut some more eyes and mouths and laminated all the pieces. I put velcro on the jug and on the pieces. Now my buddies can make and re-make Jack's face over and over!

Photobucket

He's a shaky cross between a jack o'lantern and Mr. Potato Head!

6 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant idea. We don't get that size of milk jug in the UK but I'm sure i could find an alternative. My son would love this. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My buddies loved shaking the paint the best! I'm going to incorporate that kind of thing in our other projects. I'm glad you liked it and I hope your son enjoys your project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again. We finally got round to trying this. I posted about it and referenced you. Thought you might like to see. http://tamingthegoblin.blogspot.com/2011/10/quick-art-halloween-milk-bottle-pumpkin.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you tried it! It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of paint would you use for this project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was biocolor paint from Discount School Supply.

      Delete