Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Gingerbread PLAY house

'Tis the season NOT TO TOUCH! We fill our homes with decorations and displays and tell our children "Don't touch!" But children love to touch and feel things, to explore the things around them. So for my buddies, I try to counteract some of that a little bit. This year I created a gingerbread house that they can decorate, undecorate and redecorate as much as they would like! I started with a box.

Photobucket




PhotobucketI wanted a good size one and I found one that was perfect. I stuffed it full of crumpled newspaper to make it sturdier and taped it closed. Then I took a piece of cardboard and cut it to size for the roof. I folded it into a triangle shape and taped it to the top of the box.




PhotobucketI then cut two end pieces that were the size of the house and roof together.















                                                                                                                              


I taped one end onto the house and stuffed the roof with newspaper. Then I attached the other side.


Photobucket















I cut a coarser grit of sandpaper sheet to fit the house


. Photobucket

I covered the roof and sides of the house with sandpaper. (Be careful when spreading your glue, I used white glue to attach the sandpaper.  Spread it THIN to avoid soaking the sandpaper, which creates wrinkles.  I used a foam brush to spread the glue more thinly and evenly than it is in this picture!)


Photobucket


I took a glue gun and glued every seam along the house so that my buddies wouldn't be tempted to pick it apart



. Photobucket



Once satisfied with the house, I turned my attention to the accessories. I used red, white, green and sparkly felt to make assorted candies, lollipops, candy canes, windows, doors and some Christmas trees.  I used puffy paint to add details to the felt.



   Photobucket

The felt pieces stick onto the sandpaper easily and can be rearranged multiple times. This house and accessories will be packed away to use year after year!

Shared this idea on The Sunday Showcase!

6 comments:

  1. oh my goodness this is utter brilliance - i'm off to find myself a big box. Gosh you have some great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is an AWESOME gingerbread house!! I am so thankful you shared you blog with me and I am adding it to my reader so I can continue to follow along!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's lovely. I love crafts with boxes. Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I couldn't find a way to contact you privately. I was recently awarded the Versatile Blogger Award. And that means I get to pass it on. I have chosen your fab blog as one of my blogs to pass the award to. You can find out the details here
    http://tamingthegoblin.blogspot.com/2011/11/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute idea! You have a lot of cute ideas on here! I just wanted to invite you over to link up at TGIF Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! I love how it turned out ;-) Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete