Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Make-up Playdough

If you're like me and you have too many eye shadows, blushes and powders in your make-up bag, THIS is the recipe for you!  I asked my buddies' moms if they would donate their outdated powdered make-up for me to use for arts and crafts.  I ended up with dozens of eye shadows, blushes and powders.


  Uploaded by Photobucket Mobile for BlackBerry

I sorted the colours into three main groups: purple, pink and brown/black. 


  Uploaded by Photobucket Mobile for BlackBerry

I scraped the powders onto a plate and crushed them.  Any lumps of powdered make-up tend to remain as lumps and don't mix well, so it's best to crush it up as finely as possible.  You can still see little clumps of purple shadow in my purple playdough. It was the first one I made.


Uploaded by Photobucket Mobile for BlackBerry


Make-up Playdough

1 cup flour
half cup salt
1 cup water
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp - 1 tbsp of powdered make-up

Crush make-up as finely as possible.  Add the rest of the ingredients into a pot and cook over medium heat until the playdough clumps together.  Place onto a plate and knead into a ball.  I keep mine in a ziploc bag in the fridge.

Uploaded by Photobucket Mobile for BlackBerry


In the end, I had three unique colours of playdough. I think they have a natural kind of look to them, almost like clay or earthy colours. They also have a really pretty shimmer. Uploaded by Photobucket Mobile for BlackBerry


EDITED TO ADD: If you have any health concerns about the powdered make-up, you can adapt your recipe.  Bring your cup of water to a boil in the microwave and add your powdered make-up. (I wouldn`t recommend putting the make-up in the microwave as it may contain metallic bits.) Put remaining ingredients into a cooking pot and carefully pour your hot water/make-up mixture into it.  Cook on medium heat as usual until the playdough clumps together.  Knead into a ball and let cool.  Store in a ziploc bag in the fridge. Shared on The Sunday Showcase!

No comments:

Post a Comment