Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Growing Carrot Tops

Winters can be long and I like to have something growing indoors for my buddies to observe.  While cutting up carrots for snack, I saw that the tops had the tiniest little bits of green sprouting from them.  I have a glass block that still had soil sitting in it so I popped the carrot tops into it.

Uploaded by Photobucket Mobile for BlackBerry
Uploaded by Photobucket Mobile for BlackBerry
This project is really nice for younger kids because it provides very quick results. Our tops were growing nicely just a couple of days after "planting". From what I understand, they will never grow carrots, only the tops will grow.

Photobucket
I shared this at the NurtureStore and you can too!

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting that the whole carrot wont grow. And I do agree with you there that it's perfect for little ones who need quick results. Thank you for giving me a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad you said in the post that they won't actually grow carrots - i was going to ask and i would have looked like an idiot - doh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking this up to our Virtual Book Club inspired by The Carrot Seed! We are waiting for ours to grow, too! Such a fun experiment!

    ReplyDelete