Thursday, March 29, 2012

Super Science

I think this may be one of my favourite science activities.  I originally found it on Steve Spangler's site.  With my buddies, I like using test tubes over bottles because it cuts down on the amount of oil needed and gives a wonderful effect.  We've done it many times, and are due to do it again, I think.  This video shows my darling granddaughter doing the experiment! 




All you need is cooking oil, water, food colouring and alka seltzer tablets - we broke ours into bits. Adjust the amounts of your ingredients to the size of your container. It should be mostly oil, a smaller layer of water and a bit of colouring.  What we did was add  a few tablespoons of water, a few drops of food colouring and about 1/3 cup of oil to our test tube, then dropped in some alka seltzer tablets and watched the action.  It's mesmerizing!