Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Joyful Destruction

How often do we allow children to intentionally DESTROY?  Yet sometimes my buddies just want to do just that.  So, what to do?   I remembered something one of my instructors had shown me years ago.  She gave us all sheets of newspaper and had us tear them into strips.  That was it.  Just tearing strips. 

I grabbed some newspaper for my buddies.  I demonstrated tearing while they stared in disbelief.  Every so briefly.
Photobucket

Then they took to the activity.  And tore it up.  Enthusiastically.

Photobucket

And when they were done, they jumped, stomped and danced in the papers all over the floor!  If you've never done this, I encourage you to try it.  It's incredibly simple, inexpensive and environmentally-friendly (if you recycle when you're done). Very relaxing and freeing!

4 comments:

  1. I can see any kid having fun with this activity! We tear up magazines sometimes, but not with as much action - we will have to step it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww what joy in those pics....great fun activity...i might have to have a go at that with the twins lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sons love doing this! Their favorite is using their pretend saws on the styrofoam that furniture comes packed in. The place is a complete and total mess afterwards, but they have so much fun it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see how this would be freeing and fun, too!

    ReplyDelete