Friday, October 19, 2012

Marshmallow Playdough

Marshmallow Playdough, delightful, edible & yummy playdough @mybuddiesandi

Pin It
I just joined a pinterest board that is all about PLAYDOUGH! All kinds of recipes, all kinds of play ideas! I was so excited. There are more kinds of playdough and more ways to play with it than you can imagine. Wanna check it out? Click here!

Aren't the ideas amazing and inspiring?  I was inspired. I really like marshmallows and I wanted to make some marshmallow playdough.  I thought about adding a marshmallow extract to regular playdough just to get that smell.  But that would mean waiting until I could go shopping.  Like some of my buddies, I am not that good at waiting. I found some recipes made by mixing marshmallows and peanut butter, but that's not what I wanted. I had to come up with my own recipe.  I based it on how marshmallow fondant is made.  Here's what I did so you can make some, too.

Marshmallow Playdough

On the stove, over medium heat, melt approximately 4 - 5 well-packed cups of marshmallows with 2 tbsps of water. Remove from heat, add a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil and 1/2 tsp. of white vanilla (optional). Mix well and then add approximately 4 - 5 cups of cornstarch. Add cornstarch gradually until you get a doughy mixture. It should be pliable and stretchy and fairly firm. It isn't a sticky dough, if yours is sticky add a bit more cornstarch until you get a firm but pliable dough. 



utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMDE4LTA2MzYxLmpwZw

Melt the marshmallows just like you would for making marshmallow fondant or rice crispie cake.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMDE4LTA2MzYzLmpwZw

When they are all melted, remove from heat and add your oil and some vanilla extract.  Then mix in your cornstarch until the mix is a pliable, firm dough.  This dough isn't sticky or crumbly.  It's wonderful. 

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMDE4LTA2MzY4LmpwZw

See how the pieces are all staying together and there aren't a lot of crumbly bits?  It's wonderful to work with.  And, it's totally non-toxic.  In fact, it's edible, smells delicious and tastes good.  Much better than marshmallow fondant.  It reminds me of a candy from my childhood but I am not going to tell you which one.  You're just going to have to try this one for yourself.  You won't be disappointed!