Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Adventures in Salt Dough

Hand Print Mittens



Pin It
OH MY GOODNESS! I had this fabulous idea for a handprint salt dough ornament and I was so excited as I rushed to make up my salt dough. The recipe made a huge quantity but I cut it in half and it seemed to go well enough.  The dough was nice and pliable. I pressed a quantity of the dough on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, pressed my buddies' hands into the dough, then I cut around their hands in a mitten shape. I peeled the excess dough off the cookie sheet.   They turned out so cute! I popped them into the oven at 200 degrees F and watched. Then, in horror, I realized that although I had halved the amount of flour in the recipe I had, I had not halved the quantity of salt. I had used equal parts flour and salt!! Yikes!  I wasn't sure how this was going to affect the ornaments.  I wondered if they would harden?  I wondered if they would become too fragile to hold up? I worried as they baked. A quick google search during the five hour baking period found some salt dough recipes that used equal parts flour and salt, so I think I am okay.  I'm not including a recipe because I hope you will use your favourite salt dough recipe.  Stick with one you trust!



Hand Print Mittens
 
After they had baked and cooled, I gave them a couple of coats of acrylic paint. This little pair I completed for my youngest buddy with pink acrylic paint, cotton ball trim and yarn string for hanging. I hope her parents like them!
 
Salt Dough Hand Print Mittens

6 comments:

  1. What a cute idea!!! Please consider sharing your project with us at the Eco-Kids Tuesday Link-up! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-incredible-egg-and-eco-kids-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! Thanks for sharing on Eco Kids! I want to make a set for my nephew who I watch. It will be a nice gift for him to give to his parents! I'm pinning these: http://pinterest.com/pin/48554502204272810/

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you share your salt dough recipe?? I heard a lot of people trying other ones, and when they went to bake them, the print swelled up into the dough and mostly disappeared! Please?? :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the exact recipe because I messed my recipe up. But you can replicate it by using equal parts flour and salt, like one cup flour, one cup salt and add water slowly to make a dough. The MOST IMPORTANT part of successful salt dough creations is the baking and really, don't think of it as baking but as DRYING. It takes a long, long time - I think these took over 3 hours! (I also wonder if some people are using self-rising flour? That probably wouldn't be a good choice.) Good luck!

      Delete