Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Funny Face Snack Plates

snack plate photo funnyface-2.jpg
Pin It


My buddies are usually pretty good about eating healthy.  As a general rule, I don't have to work too hard to get them to eat good food.  I like serving fruit and vegetables as often as possible because this tends to be the food group lacking in many children's diets.  I stay away from too many cracker type snacks because I know that these are often over-served. 

When it's a challenge to get my buddies to eat their veggies, I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve.  One of the common tricks is to dress up the veggies to make them visually appealing.  Making smiling faces is pretty easy to do.  For these smiling faces, I used corn, snap peas, broccoli and then some mozza cheese cut to make a nose and hair.  It's kind of fun and less likely to be rejected based on looks alone. 

The lesser known trick is to serve vegetables FROZEN, right from the bag.  Frozen vegetables don't really taste like anything but frozen.  The freezing dulls the taste and it's also a novelty to eat them this way.  Parents are always surprised when I tell them that their children are eating veggies that they won't eat at home.  Corn is especially sweet and is a good one to start with for especially picky eaters.  Peas and/or carrots would be my next choice for frozen veggies.  As they get used to eating the veggies frozen they will be more likely to try fresh or cooked versions.  Happy healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment