Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Simple Science Play

Simple Science Play photo IMG_00000864.jpg

Pin It


Sometimes, I think, people are too intimidated by the word "science".  They think that anything science related is going to be difficult to set up, or messy, or too complicated for kids to do on their own.  It's really not, though.  It can be very simple.

I enjoy letting my buddies explore and make their own discoveries.  I have a few things that make this easier.  Plastic test tubes, and droppers, spoons, little cups and plastic trays are kept easily accessible for me to create little science play set ups for my buddies. 

We love using baking soda and vinegar.  In this set up, I supplied baking soda, vinegar, salt and water.  I wanted my buddies to discover, on their own, how the materials reacted with each other. Even though we've done it before, it's a new discovery each time. 

 photo IMG_00000868.jpg

My buddies never tire of seeing the fizzy reaction of baking soda and vinegar.

Science Play photo PicMonkeyCollage.png
I never tire of their reactions!

If you're not just itching get started I guess I haven't convinced you to try some science play yet.  I have to tell you about the least messy science play that we have ever done.  It's unbelievably easy, amazing and fascinating for young and old and 100% MESS FREE!

Go to Steve Spangler's site (he's the really cool scientist guy), and purchase this energy stick.  My buddies and I could not put this thing down!  It just might be the coolest thing ever!  It was neat to see how many ways we could get it to light up and make noise.  My buddies weren't the only ones amazed either, their parents were equally fascinated.  It works by using the human body (or several buddies) as a conductor to complete a circuit which causes the energy stick to light up and make sounds.  Or maybe by MAGIC!

 photo CoolScience.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment