Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Light Boxes, It's Location, Location, Location!

 photo LightBox.jpg

Pin It




I was so pleased with the little light table I created out of a cake pan and lid, some led lights and foil.  I was sure my buddies would LOVE it.  I provided a variety of colourful items and set it out on the table several times.  My buddies were only mildly interested.  I was disappointed that they weren't as excited as I expected.  I didn't realize I was doing it wrong.

Then one day, I obtained a large cardboard box for my buddies to play with.  They enjoyed playing in the box, as I knew they would, but when I brought the light box out again for them inside the box, they were  much more excited about it, too.

Inside the box, it was much darker than anywhere else.  In the daytime, even with my lights out, our rooms are still too light to create a really great contrast with the light of the light box.   It wasn't nearly as appealing.  In the dark, though...it's amazing!

I learned that day, that especially when I set up the light table, I need to think location, location, location!  It's easy enough to throw a blanket over the desk and create a dark little play area.  

Do you have any other light table tips or tricks that make it more appealing for your kids?  I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment