Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Herbal Tea Playdough

 photo herbalteaplaydough.jpg
Pin It
 

The chocolate playdough I made last week went home with my buddies so I was playdoughless. We can't really function properly for very long without some form of playdough kicking around so I whipped this stuff up.  I had been debating about what kind of playdough to make when I found all these boxes of herbal tea in my cupboard.  Since we very rarely drink tea, it had expired and I didn't think it would taste very good.  It still smelled fantastic though, and it would be a shame to throw it out.  It would be perfect for playdough.

My usual playdough recipes have cream of tartar in them and I didn't have much of it so I searched to see what I could substitute. You'll note this recipe has lemon juice and baking powder in it - google told me that either of those could be used as substitutes depending on what you were adding them to.  I used both in my playdough, just to be safe.  They seem to have worked well.  We've had our playdough for two weeks now and it's still in great shape!

Here's the recipe:

Herbal Tea Playdough

2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
2 cups of water
3 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. lemon juice
tea from assorted tea bags (cut and emptied)


Add all ingredients and mix together in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat.  I prefer to use a large fry pan because it seems to cook more quickly with more of the playdough in contact with the heat on the bottom of the pan.  Keep stirring it and watching it.  The playdough is ready when it all suddenly clumps together.  Remove it from the stove and take it out of the pan.  Knead it carefully as it cools down.  Then it's ready for play!

 I love giving my buddies still slightly warm playdough to play with.  I don't provide tools right away either.  At first, I just want them to feel the dough with their hands.  The tea gives the dough a slightly gritty texture that is different from most of the playdoughs that we make.  After they've played for a bit, it's time to break out the tools for even more fun!  I hope you'll give this recipe a try.



No comments:

Post a Comment