Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Birthday Cake Playdough

Birthday Cake Playdough photo BirthdayCakePlaydough.png
Pin It
I'm interrupting this series to share this fabulous idea!  Two of my buddies are celebrating birthdays this month & I've purchased a BIG set of cookie cutters.  This calls for a new batch of playdough.  Nothing ordinary will do.  It has to be amazing and fun.  I need a WOW factor. 

Lucky for me my daughter cleaned her pantry this weekend and discovered some expired cake mixes.  Not so outdated that they would be unsafe - just outdated enough not to be optimal for baking & eating.  PERFECT for playing with, though.  Since cake mix is mostly flour, I was sure I could make it into playdough.   

Here's how I made it:

Birthday Cake Playdough


1 cup flour
1 cup salt
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 rainbow bit cake mix
2 cups of water

Combine all ingredients in a large frying pan on medium heat.  Stir constantly because it can easily scorch. Keep scraping it up from the bottom. It will start to clump up but keep stirring until all the dough looks cooked and clumpy and none of it is liquid.  Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit before kneading.  After playing, keep it in a container in the fridge. 




cake mix playdough photo cakeslice.jpg


This playdough smells so good.  And the little rainbow bits that I worried would fall apart and dissolve as I cooked the playdough are still intact and looking pretty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment