Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Menu Makeover

Revamping my menus according to the Food Guide photo Daycare Menu Makeover-1.jpg
Pin It


This weekend I've spent time looking at my menus.  As I come to know more about good nutrition, I can't help but feel a greater responsibility to ensure I am feeding my buddies food that will set them on the path to healthy eating and a healthy life.

In a daycare setting this is far easier said than done.  First of all, everyone has a different idea of healthy. My goal is to find food that will be:

  #1 EATEN 

and 

#2 ENJOYED

by a majority of my buddies.  I'm not getting rid of gluten or sugar or fat.  I am following guidelines based on Canada's Food Guide.

 I want my menus to follow these standards:

  • Lunch will contain food from all four food groups
  • Each snack will have a fruit or vegetable plus food from another food group
  • At least 10 different foods from the fruit & vegetable food group will be served each week
  • At least 1 dark green or orange vegetable or fruit will be served each day (spinach, broccoli, carrots, pumpkin, cantaloupe, peaches, nectarines, apricots)
  • Whole milk will be served with lunch and snacks
  • A meat alternative such as eggs or peanut butter or lentils will be served once a week
  • Fish will be served once a week
  • Processed meat will be avoided or at least minimized (sandwich meats, hot dogs)
  • Water will be available between meals and snacks
  • Local produce will be served as often as is practical
  • Menus will be re-evaluated and updated twice a year
  • Snacks will contain at least one contrast between colour, taste, texture, shape or temperature
  • At least 1/2 of the grains served will be whole grain

Needless to say, this was a huge undertaking.  Especially because of #1 and 2!  The healthiest food in the world is worthless if nobody eats it.  I have kept some kid favourites on my menu, too. Everything in moderation!  So yes, you do see tater gems, pizza, and french fries.  I use regular peanut butter as well.  Overall, I'm happy with my menus and I hope my buddies will be happy too!






 photo GreenMenu.png
 photo BlueMenu-1.png
 photo OrangeMenu.png
That's it! Let me know what you think & feel free to use these menus to help you plan, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment